Stratolaunch is developing an air-launch platform to contribute to high speed research and development. The goal of Stratolaunch is to use the air-launch platform for enabling technologies that may not exist otherwise. Stratolaunch has the potential for creating technology development opportunities for commercial, philanthropic and governmental organizations to collect rich and actionable data and drive advancements in science, research, and technology.
To achieve these great efforts, Stratolaunch needs a Materials and Process Engineer to contribute to composite materials development. This includes researching and developing composite materials and joints, generating detailed test plans and reports, and creating material processes for the shop and engineering to use. Additionally, this person will contribute to allowable database development for our composite materials. This candidate will implement technology upgrades that improve the competitive basis of the Stratolaunch architecture. You must be comfortable with component/system development and integration. This position will include evaluation of a broad range of technical data. Candidates must have an aerospace development background and relevant experience in aerospace systems integration.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
- Evaluate new materials used in the Stratolaunch architecture, with a primary focus on high temperature composite materials and a secondary focus on low-temp composite materials
- Execute composite material testing for various elements of the Stratolaunch architecture – both laminate and joint testing; both high and low temp
- Generate test plans and reports for composite material and joint tests
- Modify and maintain composite processing guidelines for engineering and the shop
- Contribute to modifications of the Stratolaunch composite materials databases
- Provide guidance to fellow engineers on composite materials selection
- Help develop process qualification and inspection standards for vehicle fabrication and assembly
- Troubleshoot composite processing issues with the shop and engineering and assist in dispositioning those issues
- Contribute to the transition of the Mojave facilities from an aircraft manufacturing site to a high speed vehicle processing facility
- Regular and comprehensive communication to the M&P Lead on a weekly and monthly basis
- Evaluate risks and risk mitigation plans to determine if the risks are appropriate and risk mitigations are adequate
- Contribute to the integration of complex aerospace systems
- Travel, as needed, to support the company
- Demonstrate honesty, responsibility, integrity and fulfillment of commitments
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Knowledge of, and experience with, one or more of these disciplines: high temperature composite materials, composite materials database development, composite materials testing, composite structures design and analysis
- Experience with low temperature pre-preg composite materials
- Experience with pre-preg layups and/or wet tie joint assemblies
- Facilitation skills and ability to communicate technical challenges and guidance to varied audiences to present technical solutions and resolve questions
- Ability to work on their own initiative and prioritize tasking to fit within the business goals
- Ability to quickly adapt to changing priorities
- Experience with high temp composite materials
- Composite material database development
- Composite materials testing experience
- Experience with composite structures design and analysis
- Hands-on experience with composite structure fabrication, including M&P coupons
- TS Security clearance
Required computer skills
- CAD (CATIA or Solidworks)
- MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Bachelor’s degree (B.S.) from an accredited institution, OR significant applicable experience
Special remarks regarding work environment
- Travel estimated to be approximately <= 5%
- Position is based in Mojave, CA
Applicants must be a US citizen or Green Card holder to be considered for this role.
Stratolaunch is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at our company. We encourage people from all walks of life to apply, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by law. Our management team does not tolerate discrimination or harassment at any point during our employees’ and applicants’ time with us, especially with respect to recruitment, hiring, placement, promotion, transfer, training, compensation, benefits, employee activities, and general treatment during employment.