Under limited supervision, the Machinist II safely performs complex machining operations in support of production operations or job shop machining. Operates various types of machine tools and performs progressive machining operations for metal parts, tools, and machines with close tolerances or high finish requirements. Fits and assembles where necessary, using machinists' hand tools and measuring instruments. Has familiarity with working properties of various materials. May program Fanuc and Okuma CNC machines in the course of making parts.
A. Essential Functions
1. Run dispatch list; understand and decipher part numbers.
2. Follow work instructions, drawings, established quality standards, and established safety protocols.
3. Must meet defined production expectations and be on-time to schedule.
4. Operate a variety of machining equipment, including but not limited to: CNC lathe, CNC mill, conventional lathe, conventional mill, etc.
5. Operate, and can teach others to operate, all machinery in an efficient manner.
6. Inspect finished product for defects or others quality issues.
7. Operate, and can teach others to use, measuring instruments with a high degree of accuracy.
8. Enter, and can teach others to enter, transactions into the computer.
9. Meet all company work schedule and attendance expectations, and perform within the physical and environmental demands of the job.
B. Additional Job Responsibilities
1. Participate in process improvement events, as directed.
2. Pull materials and put materials away.
3. Assist with other functions within the department, as directed.
4. Assist other departments with various duties and projects, as directed.
5. Attend required meetings.
6. Participate in physical inventories.
7. Alert Lead or Assistant Supervisor to material shortages, quality, safety, or personnel issues.
8. May need to operate a handheld barcode scanner.
9. May assist in training others on assembly process.
10. May assist in evaluating peer performance.
11. Learn and adhere to our Kan-Ban system.
12. Maintain and teach others to maintain a clean work area.
13. Create work flow and other documents as needed.
14. Maintain a filing system for paperwork.
15. Assist in the training of other Machinists, when requested.
C. Minimum Qualifications
1. High School Diploma or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience
2. 3+ years of experience in a machinist or production role or technical college
3. Possess effective written and verbal communication skills
4. Can effectively read and write
5. Can properly use and read a tape measure, micrometer, calipers, and any other measuring tools
6. Ability to handle small tools, power tools, and equipment
7. High mechanical aptitude
8. High degree of manual dexterity
9. Good communication and interpersonal skills
10. Work to very close tolerances
11. Computer experience
12. Select set-up procedures
13. Maintain a high quality control
14. Applies knowledge of mechanics, shop mathematics, metal properties, layout and machining procedures daily
15. Can read blueprints and follow machining procedures
16. Able to work in a group as a team player
17. Able to work independently
18. Must be able to perform all aspects of the Machinist I position
19. Must be able to successfully pass a drug test
D. Additional Preferred Qualifications
1. Lean Manufacturing
2. 5S experience
3. Understanding of inventory control systems
4. Forklift certification
5. Crane operation